My UW Connect Terms and Conditions
For use of My UW Connect and the Directory
My UW Connect is provided by the Wisconsin Foundation and Alumni Association (referred to throughout this document as “WFAA”) and is designed to facilitate communication among members of the University of Wisconsin-Madison (referred to throughout this document as “UW-Madison”) community including alumni, students and donors for non-commercial and/or WFAA-authorized purposes.
Please read the following terms and conditions thoroughly before moving ahead. Registration for My UW Connect and use of the site is your agreement to abide by these "Terms and Conditions."
I. Privacy and Security
Through this website, WFAA will collect the following from registered community members including: (1) all updates provided in the profile, and (2) usage, such as aggregated statistical information about pages accessed, Web browsers used, preferences, survey responses, etc.
WFAA will not share personal information you provide to us via this website with any unaffiliated entity or affinity partner other than for purposes directly authorized by WFAA. All personal information is provided for use by UW-Madison community members and WFAA for authorized purposes only.
WFAA has taken reasonable precautions to secure the personal information available through My UW Connect. My UW Connect is password-protected to allow access by registered UW-Madison users only (alumni, friends, donors, students, etc.). Additionally, access to the alumni directory is limited to UW-Madison alumni. Through My UW Connect you have the ability to hide selected personal information. Use privacy settings to determine what information is visible to other users of this website. Although these measures are intended to protect personal information available through My UW Connect from unauthorized access, a certain degree of privacy risk is faced any time information is shared over the Internet or by email. Accordingly, WFAA is not responsible for security or confidentiality of information being transmitted via the Internet or by e-mail.
If we alter our privacy and security policy, we will post those changes on this website in a timely manner so you can be aware of changes that may affect you. Any change to this privacy and security policy shall be effective as of the date posted.
II. Policy and Guidelines for Proper Use
To safeguard the operation of My UW Connect, WFAA has adopted guidelines and policies, including, but not limited to, the specific rules and regulations listed below, by which users of My UW Connect have agreed to abide by registering as a user.
- Unauthorized copying, reproduction, republishing, uploading, downloading, posting, transmitting, printing, or duplicating any of the materials or information provided via My UW Connect is prohibited. You may download or copy any downloadable materials or information displayed on My UW Connect for home, noncommercial and personal use only, provided that:
- you maintain all copyright, trademark and other notices contained in such material;
- you agree to abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in any material or information accessed through My UW Connect.
- Use of materials or information available through My UW Connect for any commercial, public, or political purposes, including any form of fundraising, is strictly prohibited. Prohibited activities also include, but are not limited to, solicitations for commercial services, telemarketing of any kind, and mass-mailings (by electronic means or otherwise) for any purpose.
- Users shall neither restrict nor inhibit any other user from enjoying any service on My UW Connect. Posting of sexually-explicit materials, use of obscene language, posting of vulgar materials, use of vulgar language, and use of abusive, defamatory, profane or threatening language of any kind will constitute a violation of these policies governing My UW Connect. Additionally, users shall not upload, transmit, distribute or otherwise publish on or via My UW Connect any materials or program containing a computer virus or any other harmful, disruptive, or disabling application.
- All aliases adopted by My UW Connect users are subject to approval by WFAA.
- WFAA is not responsible for screening communications in advance, nor will WFAA actively monitor the use of My UW Connect. For this reason, it is essential that the users of My UW Connect report any abuses or misuse of, or unauthorized access to, My UW Connect to WFAA. If WFAA determines that a user's participation in My UW Connect creates a liability for WFAA and/or that the user has violated the conditions and policies set forth herein, WFAA reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to take actions deemed appropriate against the user. WFAA reserves the right to expel a user and/or deny a user further access to My UW Connect if that user violates these policies or any applicable laws or regulations.
III. Liability and Indemnity
The reliability of the information available through My UW Connect is largely dependent upon the actions of registered directory users. WFAA will make reasonable efforts to update or keep current this site, but disclaims any responsibility for the content or the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of the information contained on this site. To the extent permitted by law, WFAA will not be liable to you or anyone else for any decision made or action taken by you or anyone else in reliance on materials or information obtained or downloaded from this site.
WFAA DOES NOT WARRANT THAT MY UW CONNECT WILL OPERATE ERROR-FREE OR THAT THE SITE AND ITS SERVER ARE FREE OF COMPUTER VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL MATERIAL. THIS SITE AND ALL MATERIALS AND INFORMATION CONTAINED ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE." TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW, WFAA DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS AND IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE. In no event shall WFAA be liable for any damages whatsoever, including, without limitation, direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, supplemental, or punitive damages resulting from the use of or inability to use information or materials available on My UW Connect.
By using My UW Connect, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless WFAA and their respective agents from and against any and all losses, claims, damages, costs and expenses, including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys' fees, that may arise from your use of My UW Connect or your breach of these terms and conditions of use. WFAA will provide notice to you of any such action or claim, and reserves the right to participate in the investigation, settlement and defense of any such action or claim.
IV. Links to Other Websites
This site may provide access to certain links to other Internet addresses. Except where otherwise indicated, these external Internet addresses contain information created, published, maintained, or otherwise posted by individuals or entities independent of WFAA. WFAA shall not endorse, approve, certify, or control these external Internet addresses, and does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, efficacy, timeliness, or correct sequencing of information located at the addresses. Access to external Internet addresses and use of any information obtained from these addresses is voluntary and at your own risk. Reference in the external Internet addresses to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, service mark, manufacturer, distributor, or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation, or favorable opinion of any product, process, or service by WFAA.
Please note that WFAA may revise these terms and conditions at any time; your continued use of the site constitutes your agreement to comply with such modifications. You should review the policies periodically to ensure that you are familiar with them.
My UW Connect was created, is updated, and is controlled by, WFAA in the State of Wisconsin, USA. As such, the laws of the State of Wisconsin will govern these terms, and conditions of use, without giving effect to its principles of conflicts of laws. By using this site, you agree that the venue of any litigation arising out of or related to your use of My UW Connect will be in a court of competent subject matter jurisdiction located in Dane County, Wisconsin.
Participation in My UW Connect is an informative and enjoyable endeavor; however, participation is also a privilege. By registering for an account and/or using this site, you agree to abide by the My UW Connect policies outlined herein. If you decide not to accept these policies, please discontinue use of this site immediately.